The Royal Monastery of the Incarnation was founded in 1611 by King Philip III and Margaret of Austria. The building was designed by architects Juan Gómez de Mora and Fray Alberto de la Madre de Dios.
It holds notable groupings of paintings and sculptures from the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, with works by Lucas Jordán, Juan Van der Hammen, Vicente Carducho, Gregorio Fernández and Pedro de Mena. Deserving of special mention is the reliquary, which contains a collection of 700 works in bronze, coral, ivory and fine woods from Italy, Germany, Spain and the Netherlands.
The church was remodelled in 1761 by Ventura Rodríguez. It is home to works by Vicente Carducho, Francisco Bayeu and the González Velázquez brothers.